Thursday, January 12, 2017

My Daily Joys

The month of January seems to be clipping along at such a fast pace so my challenge of taking a picture a day of something that brings me joy has helped slow it down a little.

I can look back at my photos and just remember the moment it was taken.

I would like to share the last couple of days with you, if you follow along on Instagram then I apologize as you will have already seen these.

Day 5:


My baby girl, well she is 7 but she'll always be my baby.  She is maturing right before our very eyes and it is amazing but it also breaks my heart just a little.  I love having conversations with her and enjoying her sense of humor and love of sweets.

Day 6:


We had a little snow this past week and enjoyed about 8 inches of the powdery stuff.  I love seeing it when it is fresh and untouched...it is so serene.

Day 7:


Since it was a little chilly the kids wanted hot cocoa and you can't have that without a little whip cream.  It is really satisfying to whip the heavy cream by hand and watch it all come together.  In a day and age where there is a tool/appliance for every little thing it is rewarding to get back to basics.

Day 8: 


Watching my boys play games together.  They are 5 years apart and I love listening to them discuss why one hand was better than the other while playing Texas Hold Em.

Day 9: 


I have a basket full of all sorts of yarn.  My daughter asked if we could make a blanket out of it and I think it is coming together pretty nicely.  She picks out the color order and I crochet away.  Like the whip cream I love being crafty and making something useful.

Day 10:


I had plenty of time to read while snowed in and luckily had this wonderful book from the library.  Maman's Homesick Pie is memoir written by Donia Bijan that chronicles like with her Iranian family and the delicious recipes that her mother made for her.  She does a magnificent job of pulling you into her story that you just don't want to put the book down...unless it is to go to the kitchen and make one of the recipes included.

Day 11:


It's important to take a moment and slow down.  Do I had a delicious cup of hot tea with milk and a slice of homemade banana bread.  It was a terrific treat before bed and allowed me to sit peacefully and savor the day.

Several of my photos were related to slowing down, which given the recent weather was a necessity.

What do you do to slow down and reflect?

Do you wish you could create more time for yourself to sit and be still?



1 comment:

  1. I often feel like I need to slow down more. When I do allow myself that time, it is most often with a cup of tea and something good to read (and eat!). Of course, I REALLY love to slow down and just enjoy time hanging out with my beautiful grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete