Friday, October 7, 2016

Am I Done Yet?

I am a week into my first of 12 challenges for the year...and you're thinking "Is she already asking 'Am I done yet?'"

                                                         Image result for two girlfriends gossiping

No silly

I chose the title because for the past year my family has been through the various rooms of our house and have culled out the items that didn't bring us joy, were broken, we no longer used, or had multiples of.  We've taken truck loads to Goodwill and yet...

I find it absolutely amazing that I am finding stuff everyday as I strive to give/sell something everyday this month.  And I'm not just finding 1 roll of ribbon that I don't need I found 10 rolls (they were donated to my mom's primary class at our Montessori school).




Over a year ago I read the best-selling book The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo.

                                                               Image result for marie kondo book

That book was the beginning of a change in mindset for me.  Marie has you touch and think about each and every item that you own.

So I did that and gave away probably half of the clothes in my closet...what amazes me though is that you can't just take one pass through your closet (or kitchen drawers or china cabinet, etc) you have to keep going back...this is an on-going process.

I pulled down a basket from the top shelf of my closet and found it was packed with Christmas ornaments (that were bought and never used) as well some random knick knacks...which were put in there because they didn't have another proper home.



So I am going to continue to examine each space of the house with a more critical eye and keep this quote from Joshua Becker in mind:
 
“We were never meant to live life accumulating stuff. We were meant to live simply enjoying the experiences of life, the people of life, and the journey of life - not the things of life.” 
― Joshua BeckerSimplify: 7 Guiding Principles to Help Anyone Declutter Their Home and Life

So before we kick off the weekend something for you to think about...are there things in your house that don't have a proper home...that perhaps should move on and out of your house?






No comments:

Post a Comment