Monday, October 31, 2016

Final Thoughts on Minimizing

The first 30 day challenge is complete


                                                      Image result for keep calm and celebrate

Right now it kind of feels more like saying goodbye to a good friend than a party.

I realize I can go through my items and eliminate them at any time...but that devotion of the daily purge won't be occurring.

So how did I do?

Well I tried to keep count of everything that I got rid of, and within a small margin of error, I calculated it at:

98 individual items

It seems both like a small number and also like a large number...is that even possible?

It seems large because I think "Holy Crap did I really have almost 100 things I didn't need."  

Then in the same breath I think "Holy Crap did I ONLY have almost 100 things I didn't need...maybe I didn't look enough."

I think the main lesson I learned, aside from the best way ever to fold your clothes (thank you Marie Kondo), is that this is a process that doesn't have a definitive end.  I will be coming back at intervals to check in with my "stuff" and see if it still deserves a place at my proverbial table.

I must say that I am most pleased with my closet.  When I walk in I don't feel overwhelmed and I can easily see everything so that I can more easily pick out what I am going to wear for the day.

I enjoy having less choices.  I am not left feeling that perhaps I made the wrong wardrobe decision and I'm also not standing there for fifteen minutes trying to figure out what I want to wear.

I read a great book on this topic called "Essentialism: The Disciplined Pursuit of Less" by Greg McKeown.  I don't want to ruin the book for anyone who  may want to read it (and you don't have to buy it you can get it through your library) but in it Greg gives you great ways to say "No" and ways to weed out those things that are "nonessential."  So he may illustrate his point with a reference to a business...but it is totally applicable in everyday life.  

So think about what things you can say "No" to and what you can weed out that will help your life focus more on the essential/important things.

Well that concludes October...on to November and challenge of exercising each day.

Won't you think about joining me?




1 comment:

  1. I'm going to try the exercise challenge. I did some planks a few minutes ago!

    ReplyDelete